The Garden of the Palace of Established Happiness (Jianfu Palace Garden) was built by the Emperor Qianlong in 1740 and is composed of a series of pavilions set in garden courts in the northwest corner of the Forbidden City.The main pavilion, severely damaged in a fire in 1923, has been rebuilt with the exterior faithfully restored but with the interior reconfigured as a versatile event space. On the exterior master craftsmen, carpenters, masons, tile workers and painters worked together using traditional tools, techniques and processes.
LOCATION: Forbidden City, Beijing
CLIENT: China Heritage Fund
SIZE: 18,000 SQ FT
STATUS: Completed 2005